page contents Flood Insurance Misconceptions Flood-Insurance-Misconceptions
The Lewis Financial Group
Flood Insurance Misconceptions 

    “My homeowners insurance will cover flood damage.” Homeowners insurance typically does not cover flood damage. The NFIP offers a separate policy that covers an individual’s home or business. Individuals can include contents coverage in their NFIP policy.

    “I experienced a major flood, so it will not happen again in my lifetime.” A major flood event can happen more than once in a lifetime. The term “100-year flood” actually refers to a flood that has a one percent chance of occurring in any given year.

    “I can’t get flood insurance because I don’t live in a flood zone.” Flood insurance is available to residents outside high-risk flood areas as long as their community participates in the NFIP.

    “I can’t buy flood insurance because I’m located in a high-flood risk area.” Flood insurance is available to residents in communities that participate in the NFIP. In fact, lenders require flood insurance if an individual has a federally-backed mortgage in a high-flood risk area.

    “I can’t buy flood insurance because my property has been flooded.” Individuals still are eligible to purchase flood insurance for future floods if they’ve previously experienced a flood at their home, apartment, or business provided that their community is participating in the NFIP.

    “Flood insurance can only be purchased through the NFIP directly.” NFIP flood insurance is sold through private insurance companies and agents, and it is backed by the federal government.

    “The NFIP encourages coastal development.” The NFIP does not encourage development in high-risk areas. NFIP regulations minimize the impact of structures built in Special Flood Hazard Areas by requiring them not to cause obstructions to natural flow of floodwaters. Communities participating in the NFIP must adhere to strict floodplain management regulations enforced by the community.

    “The NFIP does not cover flooding resulting from hurricanes or the overflow of rivers or tidal waves.” The NFIP defines covered flooding as a general and temporary condition during which the surface of normally dry land is partially or completely inundated.

Back To Insurance Home Page
Follow @RussellGLewis1
Chamber CertifiedColumbia Property & Casualty Insurance
Our Locations